Saturday, February 25, 2012

31 Days to Clean: Day 2, Part 1

Day 2's Mary Challenge from 31daystoclean.com asks me to think about how I can make my home come alive...

Wow! With 4 children, it feels like our home is always "crawling" with life, but I think that the point is really trying to figure out how to "live" in the middle of our lives. How do I "create life" in the midst of the regular activities? How do I elevate our home from just getting through the day to day and toward LIVING?  I know that it has a lot to do with my priorities. It means letting go of some of my before mentioned perfectionistic tendencies and moving towards involving my children more in the  work of homemaking. It also means that I need to get more involved in the work of play.

So, today Auntie Ashley came over and we baked some "unvalentine" cookies.  We all had a great time decorating the sugar cookies with a sweet butter frosting dyed purple, yellow or pink. It was nice to let go and not worry about what the kids cookies look like or how much frosting ends up on the cookies...or doesn't and just enjoy the moment.

Sometimes when you let go, you get cookies like this...  



And sometimes, you get cookies like this...



 But you almost always end up with faces that look like this...



or this...




We all had a great time! I wonder if the kids noticed the difference...




1 comment: